An important ingredient in the life of our parish has been the school. It has served the complete education of some of our children and the religious education of others of our children who attend other schools.
In September of 1949, the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (PVBM) Sisters began teaching 69 children in grades 1 to 4 in temporary quarters. With the completion of the school building itself in 1950, all grades, 1 through 8 were filled. At it's peak in 1965, when class sizes were large by today's standards, there were about 605 students in grades 1 to 8; today we can accommodate 475 children. In the school year 1967-1968, there were 14 Presentation nuns serving St. Mary's School.
In 1992 the Sioux Falls Catholic School (SFCS) system was created and our school became part of that system. In 1993 the SFCS junior high schools (grades 7-8) were relocated to the O'Gorman High School campus. This move allowed for increased enrollment in grades K through 6 to help accommodate the students of the new Holy Spirit parish.
Today our school serves over 350 children in grades K through 6. We have 36 teachers and staff members.